Sicily and Italy have a natural geographic privileged position with regard to the wet capacity in the MED area but ...
..... the traffic is currently diverted onto North EU extending cables to France (Marseille)
…and the Market needs:
- a free zone for the exchange of IP traffic among MED operators and EU/USA ISPs,Contents, OTTs...
- the possibility to be delivered Traffic towards North EU through a multi-vendor terrestrial path in Italy
Open Hub Med: The Solution
“We believe that capability, security and resilience are fundamental features required to address the increase of internet traffic, particularly in an area such as the Mediterranean - a crossroads of submarine cables connecting India, the Middle and Far East to Africa, Europe, South and North America”.
Most of the international internet data traffic and worldwide combined voice-data traffic already travels through these submarine.
OHM’s missions is:
- to relaunch the role of Italy in the International Telecommunication Environment
- to offer an interconnection&peering services to MED countries in a very neutral Location/Country
- to reduces traffic latencies among MED Countries Networks and between MED and EU Networks
- to Open and Improve the Transit/Capacity Market Towards Italy and EU
- to reduce data transport costs within Italy